Injunction for Protection

What does and Injunction for Protection do?

An Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence may include but not limited to:

  • Restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse
  • Directing the abuser to leave your household
  • Preventing the abuser from entering your home, school, business, or workplace
  • Awarding you custody of your minor child or children
  • Directing the abuser to pay support to you and your minor children

How do I get an Injunction?

Click the links below to download domestic violence forms:


  1. Go to room 218 in the Family Division Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court located at the Putnam County Courthouse.
  2. Bring a picture ID/driver's license, the address of where the abuser can be found and any relevant police reports.
  3. Tell the official on duty that you want to file a petition for an Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence.
  4. You will have to tell the official who asks when, where, and how you were hurt or beaten, what the abuser did to you, and how often that it happened.
  5. You may have to furnish your address to the court in a separate confidential filing for safety reasons.
  6. If you want the judge to order certain things like custody of your children or a Batterer's Intervention Program, you must request this in writing.
  7. There is NO cost to file, but appropriate dress is required.  No children please.
  8. After you have completed the paperwork, the Court may order a Temporary Injunction, which is good for 15 days.  Then a full hearing is held to consider the safety of you and your children.
  9. The abuser MUST be served with the Injunction to be effective.  It tells the abuser what the judge requires and when to return to Court for a hearing, which will be within 15 days.
  10. Your attendance at the hearing is important to make sure the judge understands exactly what help you need and why.  If you do not attend, the judge can end the Temporary Injunction.
  11. You can request an Emergency Injunction on Saturday, Sunday, Holidays or after normal business hours by calling the Sheriff's Office or if the abuser has been arrested, you can go to the abuser's first court appearance at the jail and request the judge to issue an Emergency Injunction.

If you need assistance with completing the Injunction paperwork, please contact the Victim Advocate in the Restraining Order Assistance Program at (386) 326-7676 or (386) 325-3141.